Wednesday, April 22, 2009

dating, the internet and aligning incentives


So that I don't start to sound too morbid, I thought I'd also post about an interesting piece in the Times from last week about a somewhat unconventional dating website. SeekingArrangement.com is designed to set up wealthier 'benefactors' with younger 'companions' (aka a sugar daddy/sugar baby relationship, or, if you read Memoirs of a Geisha, a danna/geisha relationship). My initial response was to be grossed out, and see this website as a means for exploitation. But then I thought, well, it's all consenting adults involved in these interactions, right? I mean, isn't this just an example of the internet fostering free markets, and aligning buyers and sellers with like incentives? It might be kind of sketchy, but...heck, not everyone in the world subscribes to conventional relationship constructs. In fact, according to the article, only 30% of arrangements involve a monetary transaction. Alot of, well, call them geishas, aren't as interested in money so much as attention. So maybe this is just a small, crystallized, effective free market of, granted, questionable taste. Or am I wrong?

No comments: