Saturday, May 17, 2008

playoff basketball!!!

have i not talked about RadioLab yet? Yeah, its awesome. It's sort of a mix of sociology and quantitative science. They take subjects like zoos, leadership, laughter, catchiness of pop songs, and then assemble both anecdotal and research-based observations to help deconvolve these macro phenomena. It's totally fascinating. More factually based than malcolm gladwell, yet pursuing more rewarding topics than steven levitt.

New topic. I love playoff basketball. I love playoff football and baseball too, which I'll talk about when the time comes, but basketball is the first sport I loved. I don't think I'll ever get over the athleticism. The pace is just so much faster than other sports, and the individual athleticism amplified in a cooperative team structure...no other sport gives you more "holy crap did you just see that" moments. And now, a few thoughts on the best player on each team remaining in the playoffs, with nickname in parentheses.

Chauncey Billups, Pistons (Mr. Big Shot): I'm sorry but what exactly is the obsession with this guy? Shoots a terrible percentage, and this whole "mr. big shot"...who has earned their nickname less? He killed them the last 2 years in the playoffs and is basically a corpse now. Forget you.

Lebron James, Cavaliers (King James): Obviously the most overall physically talented, and probably does the most plays that truly stun me. Maybe because he's built like a freaking linebacker. I know its tough for him because he's on a crappy team, but I don't see the playoff assassin in him that I want to. Here's hoping that in game 7 in the first minute he takes it to the hole, eviscerates Rajon Rondo and puts the world on notice.

Kevin Garnett, Celtics (KG/The Big Ticket): I like KG. He's a team player who truly seems to care about winning. I dont think you have to be that guy who takes the big shot (he's clearly tentative) if you do all the little things that help your team win. I think that can still make you great. If he had a true alpha dog on his team, they'd win like 40 championships in a row. Just a fearless guy at the end of the game (like Manu Ginobili).

Kobe Bryant, Lakers (Black Mamba): First of all, GREATEST NICKNAME OF ALL TIME. Who doesn't want to be freakin Black Mamba? And it fits him perfectly. Kobe is one of those weird dudes who grew up in Italy, probably had no peers, came to high school where he was too good for everyone, and went straight to the emerging Laker Dynasty. No wonder he's a recluse. I used to hate him, now I love him. I would love to see a standoff either between him and Lebron (where despite inferior skills at this point he would win just by force of will) or Chris Paul (a guy cut out of his mold at a different position).

Tim Duncan, Spurs (The Big Fundamental): Worst nickname of all time. Almost every basketball fan I'm friends with hates this guy. And now I'm going to sacrifice all of my friends by saying how much I disagree. Yeah, he might be a little boring, but this guy competes. He's not as fast as he used to be, but he still wins by being smarter than everyone else and picking his spots. Anyone notice him dismantling the Suns at the end of every game? I don't care that he doesn't throw down thunderous dunks. Right on with your 8 foot bank shots, big fundamental. Anyone who doesn't think he's the greatest power forward of all time is an idiot and not a real sports fan, and has to be stopped.

Chris Paul, Hornets (CP3, pictured): I'm sorry but that's it???? CP3? for the transcendent player of this year's playoffs? I LOVE this guy. Insanely competitive, but doesn't need to score a million points to do it. The guy took Psych classes in college to try and understand his teammates better. Check out this story if you don't think he's awesome. Plus, in the playoffs, he's taken it to a new, even more insane level. This guy is going to leave Isiah, Stockton, and other awesome point guards in the dust. And with the exception of Deron Williams, there's nobody who can do anything close to guarding him. So he just wreaks havoc on every defense. It's crazy, like watching Barry Sanders on the basketball court. Awesome.

I'd be happy with almost any of these guys matching up in the finals. Maybe not Spurs-Pistons or Spurs-Cavs, but Spurs-Celtics, Cavs-Lakers, Cavs-Hornets, Cavs-Spurs, Celtics-Lakers, Celtics-Hornets....it's all gravy. Playoffs.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG i forgot how we used to make fun of the big fundamental... lol. you should have shouted out KB24. and where is "the truth".... lol

Anonymous said...

i mean KB8 >> black mamba

santosh said...

if there were going to be a second nickname for black mamba, it would be "k to the izzo, b to the izze" (from the diary of kobe bryant on mtv)

santosh said...

hey did anyone ever hear his hiphop album?