Friday, May 23, 2008

grab bag

so much to talk about!!!

1. Liz Trotta. and Fox News. First, kudos on consciously calling Barack Obama a terrorist and calling for him to be killed in the same sentence. Impressive. Second, her fake apology is dripping with contempt. More evidence that Fox News isn't driven by simple misguided patriotism (kind of how I see the president). No, tacit acceptance of behavior such as this shows the absolutely directed racism, xenophobia, and misogyny of this reprehensible network. Too bad that shit isn't working because new polls show Obama ahead of McCain in almost every significant swing state.

2. Hilary. Come on dude. Everyone is super amped up about the Robert Kennedy thing. I'm even more amped up about comparisons to elections in Zimbabwe and women's suffrage. Note to HRC: neither of those 2 groups violated the rules. Stop trivializing real problems.

3. RadioLab's Podcast on Sleep. Did you know that freakin dolphins rest half of their brain at a time so that they don't drown? That is INCREDIBLE.

4. Awesome Article on Obama's top aide, Reggie Love (which by the way, is an awesome name). We learn that Obama loves basketball and SportsCenter and hates mayonnaise and salt and vinegar potato chips. In other words, we are made to be best friends and in a posse together.

5. Apparently, accurate prediction of the national election exists! Sadly, it reveals that currently, things are really close.

6. This is a really interesting question about the Prisoner's Dilemma from the freakonomics blog. The dilemma itself is really cool with regards to honesty and deception, and this question is sort of integral to my love of economics. What would you ask to tip the scales most in your favor?

7. Great wine for under 15 dollars? Hell Yes!

8. An interesting article on lunch being mandated for high schoolers. I find this particularly interesting because as a high schooler I never took lunch. You don't want to stop kids from being ambitious but if you don't set some sort of boundary, 8th graders are going to start worrying about their GPA.

I've got a lot of new music on my palette: Raconteurs, The Roots, maybe even the new Tokyo Police Club. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Jeff Morrow said...

Long time listener, first time caller. *cough*

I read the lunch article and thought back on high-school, and how I really didn't know anyone taking lunch. But I felt like that was about getting to take everything I wanted to take---not so much about cramming in additional classes, but making sure my schedule worked out. (If I want to take Photo II and Journalism II and Spanish 5AP and English 4AP, I may not be able to block off fourth or fifth period.)

And because, cyclically speaking, none of my friends took lunch. So why would I?

But I read a paragraph like this:

“I would never put lunch before work,” said Elaine, who has a free block for lunch in her schedule this spring, but shuns the cafeteria to study in the library, and snacks in class on yogurt, cut-up red peppers and Wheat Thins.

and all I can hear is the wailing of klaxons. Danger!

Do you think that's how our cohort viewed it? I wonder, myself not having pursued the maximal academic returns at the time, if those more successful than I really did feel that way.

Annie said...

Alright this is less a comment and more just adding to the "omg I cannot believe Fox News" theme, but here's a long quote from my favorite website (other than RockItScientist), The Superficial:

---

Many of you have probably heard that Dunkin' Donuts pulled an ad featuring Rachael Ray because she looks "too Arab-y." Apparently, her scarf set the right-wing blogs a-buzzing who decided to wage war on my beloved Dunkin' until they pulled the ad. Bloodied and beaten, the purveyors of sweet fried bread that fuel my morning gave in, according to the Boston Globe:

The Canton-based company has abruptly canceled an ad in which the domestic diva wears a scarf that looks like a keffiyeh, a traditional headdress worn by Arab men. Some observers, including ultra-conservative Fox News commentator Michelle Malkin, were so incensed by the ad that there was even talk of a Dunkin’ Donuts boycott.
‘‘The keffiyeh, for the clueless, is the traditional scarf of Arab men that has come to symbolize murderous Palestinian jihad,’’ Malkin yowls in her syndicated column.
‘‘Popularized by Yasser Arafat and a regular adornment of Muslim terrorists appearing in beheading and hostage-taking videos, the apparel has been mainstreamed by both ignorant and not-so-ignorant fashion designers, celebrities, and left-wing icons.’’
Dunkin' Deeznuts issued the following statement after pulling the terror-inducing ad. (Holy shit, she's got a latte! Duck!):

Said the suits in a statement: ‘‘In a recent online ad, Rachael Ray is wearing a black-and-white silk scarf with a paisley design. It was selected by her stylist for the advertising shoot. Absolutely no symbolism was intended. However, given the possibility of misperception, we are no longer using the commercial.’’
The only jihad that scarf makes me want to commit is against my hangover - with sweet caffeine. And if that's not American, shit, I don't know what is. That said, I'll assume for their next commercial Rachael Ray, clad in the Stars and Stripes, will fire an AK at a Boston Creme - then dump scalding hot lattes on a gay wedding. Wow, I should work in advertising. I would sell stuff's face off.

---